Meet the President
Andrew MacG. Robertson Mining and Civil Geotechnical Consultant
B.Sc. Civil Engineering, University of Witwatersrand, South Africa, 1966
Ph.D. Engineering (Rock Mechanics), University of Witwatersrand, South Africa, 1977
Canadian Geotechnical Society
Canadian Institute of Mining
Engineering Institute of Canada
Association of Engineering Geologists
Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists of British Columbia
Association of Professional Engineers of Yukon, Saskatchewan, Manitoba and Ontario
- Geotechnical Engineering
- Environmental Engineering
- Pit Slope Engineering
- Risk Analysis
- Audit and Review for Mines
- Expert Testimony
- Tailings Dam Design
- Mine Waste Management
- Geochemical Characterization and ARD (AMD) Control
- Environmental Liability Assessment
- Mine Closure Plan Development
1994 to Present
Principal, Robertson GeoConsultants Inc. (Canada & USA)
Responsible for technical and corporate guidance and development of a mining, geotechnical and environmental engineering international practice. Directly responsible for a wide range of mining, geotechnical and environmental engineering projects for the mining industry and government clients, including site investigations and foundation design, rock mechanics and soil slope stability for open pit mines; design of a wide variety of tailings impoundments; waste dump investigations and designs, including acid rock drainage (ARD) evaluations, control and mine closure plan development.
Performed numerous dam safety inspections and environmental liability assessments for tailings and water dams, mine waste dumps and mining properties. Served as an expert witness for a number of court cases including insurance claims. Served as senior Arbitrator in an American Arbitration Association adjudication. Served on a number of Boards of Review, Advisory Panels, and as the Chairman of the Board of Studies for the Geological Engineering Program at the University of British Columbia (Associate Professor Status). Gave a number of courses on acid mine drainage control, mine closure and mining geotechnics to government (US EPA) and industry institutions.
Projects have been undertaken in Canada, the USA, Germany, France, Sweden, Norway, the Czech Republic, Chile, Brazil, Argentina, Peru, Guatemala, Australia, Philippines, Vietnam, South Africa, Mali, Namibia and Irian Jaya.
1977 to 1994
Corporate Consultant, Steffen Robertson and Kirsten (Canada)
Responsible for technical and corporate guidance and development, mainly in the field of geotechnics. Directly responsible for site investigation and specialist foundation designs; rock mechanics and soil slope stability for open pit mines; design of tailings impoundments for uranium, gold, copper and molybdenum tailings; waste dump investigation and designs; coordination of multiple disciplinary geotechnical projects in Canada and the United States. Dr. Robertson was the senior technical author and project principal on a number of technical guides prepared for various government and industry bodies describing the state-of-the-art practices for acid mine drainage predictions and control, mine site closure and tailings dam design for Uranium tailings.
1973 to 1977
Principal, Steffen Robertson and Kirsten
Responsible for Soil Mechanics Division guidance and development. Directly responsible for numerous site investigations for township, industrial and mining developments. Specialized in foundation design including piled foundations and lateral support systems, stability analyses for slopes in soil and rock for mines and civil structures, and design and management of tailings impoundments.or Soil Mechanics Division guidance and development. Directly responsible for numerous site investigations for township, industrial and mining developments. Specialized in foundation design including piled foundations and lateral support systems, stability analyses for slopes in soil and rock for mines and civil structures, and design and management of tailings impoundments.
Chief Engineer, Frankipile (S.A.) Ltd.
Duties and experience included the design of piled and special foundations, supervision of piling contracts and conducting site investigations for townships, high-rise structures, roads, railway routes and bridges.
Reseach Officer, De Beers Consolidated Mines
Responsible for aspects of rock slope stability studies.
Publications and Courses
Seventy technical papers on mine closure, decision analyses, mine reclamation, special foundations design, tailings impoundment design, slope stability in rock and soil, instrumentation, expansive clays, and acid rock drainage. In addition, Dr. Robertson has been involved with the preparation of several technical guides. Dr. Robertson has given numerous courses on acid rock drainage control and mine closure in Canada, the USA, the UK, Sweden and South Africa.
Dr. Robertson has participated in a number of review boards for projects, companies, regulatory agencies and institutions. As a result of his professional activities, Dr. Robertson or the organizations he worked for received a number of industry awards.
Review Boards & Specialist Review Consultant/Auditor
- Vale Sudbury mines - Member of 4 man Technical Review Board for the tailings dam complex (26 individual dams) forming the integrated tailings dam for the Vale nickel-copper mines at Sudbury, Ontario (2011 to present)
- Natural Resources and Environment , Indian and Northern Affairs Canada - Member and co-Chairman of the Independent Peer Review Panel for Abandoned mines in Yukon and North West Territories Closure Plans, including the Faro Mine and the Giant mine, each with several 100?s of millions of closure remediation requirements. (2006 to present)
- PanAust, Laos mines - Member of two man Independent Tailings Review Panel for tailings dams for Pho Kam (28,000 tpd copper-gold mine) and Ban Huayxai (12,000 tpf gold mine) (2009 to present)
- Masan Resources mine - member of two man Independent Tailings Review Board for 12,000 tpd poly metallic mine in Vietnam (2006 to present)
- Minsur mines - member of 3 man Independent Tailings Dam Review Board for tailings Dams on three mines San Rafael tin mine, and Raura gold mine, Peru, and Pitinga tin mine in Brazil (2013 to present)
- Marlin Mine (World Bank/IFC) - Member of one man Technical Review Board for tailings dam and waste dumps investigations, designs, construction and operation in Guatemala (5,500 tpd gold mine, Montana Exploration). (2004 - present)
- Cerro Corona Mine (World Bank/IFC) - Member of three man Technical Review Board for tailings dam design, construction and operation in Peru (18,000 tpd Copper-Gold Mine, Goldfields). (2006 - present)
- Cerro Verde Mine - Member of three man Technical Review Board for two tailings dams Enlozada (285 m high) and Linga (310 m high) in Peru (140,000 tpd expanding to 380,000 tpd copper mine, Freeport). (2003 - present)
- Pueblo Viejo Mine - Member of two man Technical Review Board for tailings dam for large gold project in Dominican Republic (Placer Dome). (2002 - 2003)
- Tintaya Mine - Member of two man Technical Review Board for new and old tailings dams in Peru (18,000 tpd copper mine, BHPBilliton). (2002 - 2006)
- Suncor Mine - Member of 4 man Mine Development and Reclamation Review Board for all major geotechnical structures including tailings dams, waste dumps and water management structures for very large oil sands mining complex in Alberta, Canada. (2002 - present)
- Compania Vale Do Rio Doce (CVRD) - Senior auditor on team reviewing and auditing all tailings, sediment and water storage dams, as well as waste rock dumps on all CVRD mines in Brazil (over 100 dams and major geotechnical structures). (2001 - present)
- Antamina Mine - Member of 4 man Independent Geotechnical and Tailings Review Board for open pit, waste dumps, acid drainage management, access road and 285 m high staged concrete faced rock fill tailings dam in Peru (120,000 tpd copper/zinc mine, Compania Minera Antamina S.A.). (1999 - present)
- Collahuasi Mine - One man Technical Review Board for 110,000-tpd rock fill/cycloned sand raised tailings dam in northern Chile (for Dona Ines de Collahuasi Mining Co). (1999 - 2003)
- Diavik Mine - Member of 3 man Independent Dike Review Board for the review of all technical, construction and safety issues for the construction of three dykes up to 4 km long and 40 m deep to enable the mining of the Diavik diamond pipe deposits by open pit mining methods within a lake, plus review of open pit stability and tailings and waste facilities design for Diavik Diamond Mines Inc., Northwest Territories, Canada. (1999 - present)
- Syncrude Mine - Member of 7 man Syncrude Landscape Restoration Technical Advisory Panel for review of program of research, development and application of reclamation technology for restoration and mine closure, Alberta, Canada, largest mine in the world, processing over 600,000 tpd of oil sands. (1999 - 2011)
- Samarco Mine - Technical Reviewer and Auditor for all tailings dams and waste rock piles for this large iron ore mining complex in Brazil (Samarco Mineração, S.A.). (1996 - 2013)
- American Arbitration Association (AAA) - Senior arbitrator in arbitration case relating to tailings dam construction for Homestake Mining Company, Lead, South Dakota, USA. (2000)
- IFC (World Bank) - Approved one man Technical Review Board for 280 m high cycloned sand tailings dam in southern Peru (Quellaveco Project - 127,000 tpd copper mine, Anglo American Inc.). (1996 - 2000) Additional Reviews for dam design revisions to dam height 3015 m in 2014.
- Mine Waste Pilot Program - Member of three man Technical Advisory Board for this US EPA funded Research program for better management of mine wastes, in Butte, Montana, USA. (1987 - 1991)
- Miscellaneous Reviews/Audits - Performed over 150 other individual tailings dam, water dam, major geotechnical structure, closure plan and environmental liability reviews and audits for mining companies, financial institutions and regulatory agencies in over 20 countries.